Novo Nordisk’s sales increased by 26% in Danish kroner and by 16% at constant exchange rates to DKK 177.0 billion in 2022
- Operating profit increased by 28% in Danish kroner and by 15% at constant exchange rates (CER) to DKK 74.8 billion.
- Sales in North America Operations increased by 35% in Danish kroner (21% at CER), and sales in International Operations increased by 17% in Danish kroner (13% at CER).
- Sales within Diabetes and Obesity care increased by 29% in Danish kroner to DKK 156.4 billion (19% at CER), mainly driven by GLP-1 diabetes sales growth of 56% in Danish kroner (42% at CER). Rare disease sales increased by 7% measured in Danish kroner (1% at CER).
- Obesity care sales grew by 101% in Danish Kroner (84% at CER). All Wegovy® dose strengths were made available again in the US in December 2022.
- Within R&D, Novo Nordisk initiated two phase 1 trials in NASH based on the siRNA technology platform.
- For the 2023 outlook, both sales and operating profit growth are expected to be 13-19% at CER. Sales and operating profit growth reported in Danish kroner are expected to be 4 and 5 percentage points lower than at CER, respectively.
- At the Annual General Meeting on 23 March 2023, the Board of Directors will propose a final dividend of DKK 8.15 for 2022 per share. The expected total dividend for 2022 is DKK 12.40 per share, of which DKK 4.25 was paid as interim dividend in August 2022. The Board of Directors has decided to initiate a new 12-month share repurchase programme of up to DKK 28 billion.
|PROFIT AND LOSS||2022||2021||Growth|
|Diluted earnings per share (in DKK)||24.44||20.74||18%||N/A|
|* CER: Constant exchange rates (average 2021).|
Lars Fruergaard Jørgensen, president and CEO: “We are very pleased with the double-digit sales growth in 2022 driven by our innovative GLP-1-based diabetes and obesity treatments, and more than 36 million people living with diabetes are now benefiting from our treatments. We continued to make progress on our Strategic aspirations and in 2023, we will continue our focus on strong commercial execution, expanding and progressing our innovative pipeline and investing significantly in the expansion of production capacity for current and future portfolio.”
On 1 February 2023 at 13.00 CET, corresponding to 07.00 am EST, an earnings call will be held. Investors will be able to listen in via a link on novonordisk.com, which can be found under ‘Investors’.
About Novo Nordisk
Novo Nordisk is a leading global healthcare company, founded in 1923 and headquartered in Denmark. Our purpose is to drive change to defeat diabetes and other serious chronic diseases such as obesity and rare blood and endocrine disorders. We do so by pioneering scientific breakthroughs, expanding access to our medicines and working to prevent and ultimately cure disease. Novo Nordisk employs about 54,400 people in 80 countries and markets its products in around 170 countries. Novo Nordisk’s B shares are listed on Nasdaq Copenhagen (Novo-B). Its ADRs are listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NVO).